- August 23, 2023
- May 31, 2023
Meet Your Host
Bill is the Vice President of Global Compliance for Archive360. Bill brings more than 29 years of experience with multinational corporations and technology start-ups, including 19-plus years in the archiving, information governance, and eDiscovery markets. Bill is a frequent speaker at legal and information governance industry events and has authored numerous eBooks, articles and blogs.
- Evolution of Compliance Officer Role: They discuss the historical background of compliance officers and how guidelines from 1991 emphasized effective compliance programs. The Caremark case in 1996 established the duty of directors to oversee compliance risks, including information systems and red flags.
- Recent Changes: They delve into a recent Caremark case that extends compliance responsibilities to corporate officers, not just directors. This means the CEO and CCO now share company-wide compliance duties.
- DOJ's Influence: The US Department of Justice's guidance is shaping compliance expectations, emphasizing a culture of compliance, empowering officers to raise concerns, and prioritizing ethics over profit.
- Data transfer and the uncertainty around how companies can legally transfer data across borders, around the world, and particularly in Europe, to be compliant with data protection laws.
- The new role of the DPO (Data Protection Officer) mandated under the GDPR, the DPO's roles and responsibility, and their background requirements
- How AI will play a role in governance and the new programs the IAPP is launching to help privacy professionals manage this new AI world